Congregation - Univerisity partnerships can have a profound impact on the health of our neighborhoods!
The Office of Faith Community Health Promotion (OFCHP) is a program that establishes mutually supportive relationships with Chicago's Faith Community- places of worship from all faith traditions.
OFCHP's mission is to engage UIC students, faculty and staff in long-term, meaningful partnerships with congregations that contribute to neighborhood revitalization and measurable improvements in community health outcomes.
OFCHP aims to identify opportunities to work collaboratively with congregations to improve community health and wellness.
What do we do?
Provide monthly health information that congregations can share with their members
Project development and technical support from UIC faculty, staff and students
- Congregational health assessments
- Health ministry design and development Testimonials
- UIC resources to enhance and support your community projects
Disseminate timely, relevant research and best practices
Promote healthy eating practices in congregations
From helping your kitchen ministry make small, yet healthy adjustments to their favorite dishes, to teaching label reading and how to shop on a budget, our trained nutrition peer educators are ready to provide high quality nutrition education and disease prevention services in your congregation.
Faith-based Nutrition Peer Educator (click on a name below to view their bio)
- Stephanie Dykes uses her expertise as a faith-based Nutrition Peer Educator delivering nutrition messages in churches and other places of worship.
- The Centers of Excellence in the Elimination of Disparities (CEED) has released a request for proposals (RFP) for Legacy funding (approx $20K per award) to support projects that prevent cardiovascular disease and diabetes through policy and systems change approaches. Please visit www.ceedchicago.org for more details or to download the RFP.
OFCHP is constantly locating and cultivating relationships with congregations in the vicinity of UIC. Click the map below to view our current and prospective congregational partners.
- The Center for Faith and Community Health Transformation: The Center for Faith and Health
- Centers of Excellence in the Elimination of Disparities: http://www.ceedchicago.org/
- Chicago Department of Public Health: www.cityofchicago.org/health
- Advocate Health System: http://www.advocatehealth.com/